Natural Resources Technician
Agency: Champaign County Forest Preserve District
Location: Mahomet, IL
Closing Date: Open until filled
Contact: Human Resources at 217-586-3360 or HR@ccfpd.org.
The Natural Resources Technician is responsible for assisting with natural areas management throughout the District. This includes invasive plant management; restoration and conservation of prairie/savanna, forest/woodlands, and wetlands; and support of the District’s education and recreation efforts.
• Identify native and invasive species in natural areas.
• Handle, mix, and apply herbicides and pesticides using various spray equipment.
• Conduct field sampling, prepare environmental analyses, and report field conditions to supervisor.
• Prepare sites for planting of trees, shrubs, or seeds as directed to support restoration efforts.
• Participate in seed collection and seed processing.
• Perform prescribed burns as a member of a burn crew.
• Assist with tree/brush removal.
• Use various tools of the trade, including but not limited to: trucks, tractors, mowers, backhoes, skid-steers, chain saws, brush cutters, and hand tools.
• Maintain facilities and equipment in a clean, safe, and efficient working order.
• Assist with supervision of daily work assignments for seasonal employees, interns, and volunteers.
• Assist with performing and documenting safety orientation for seasonal staff and/or volunteers.
• Perform all job tasks in compliance with the District’s Safety Manual and the department training manual.
• Other duties as assigned.
See announcement and apply here.