TWO amazing water quality summer internships with Illinois EPA Des Plaines office!$15/hour, Full-time May 16-August 19Application Deadline May 8th
Apply at https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/1998336834
NRES will hire two students to supplement Illinois EPA field staff in the collection and management of the Agency's various stream and inland lake monitoring programs. These students will be given hands-on environmental education experience working side-by-side with professional stream and lake biologists from both the Illinois EPA and Illinois Department of Natural Resources.
We are looking for students with coursework and experience related to the sampling of water chemistry and/or macroinvertebrates. Ideal candidates should possess a high degree of personal integrity. Given the position's focus on fieldwork, candidates must have both the physical and mental abilities to conduct water and macroinvertebrate sampling activities over the course of a full day. These positions will be in the Illinois EPA-Des Plaines Regional Office.
Work with IEPA and IDNR personnel in Streams & Lakes:
- Collecting water quality samples
- Sampling macroinvertebrates, macrophytes, & fish
- Recording discharge and assessing habitat
- Summer work contract is 14 weeks, Pay $15.00 per hour (May 16-August 19)
- Current student at University of Illinois (undergraduate or graduate) studying environmental science, ecology, biology, or related field
- Valid Drivers license
- Ability to swim, ability to lift 50 lbs
- Tolerance of inclement weather, mud, bugs, and fish slime
- Transportation to the EPA office in Des Plaines
- Some travel is required, hotel and per diem reimbursed
Prepare a single document containing: (1) cover letter expressing interest and future goals, (2) current unofficial transcript, and (3) resume. Complete the form and upload that document at https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/1998336834. Application deadline is Sunday, May 8th at 11:59 pm central time.
Internship questions? Contact Kevin Zidonis: Kevin.Zidonis@Illinois.gov
Application questions? Contact Piper Hodson: phodson@Illinois.edu
Learn more about the IEPA Bureau of Water – Northern Monitoring Unit in Des Plaines, IL.