Position Description and Application Information
Cardinal State, LLC is seeking persons interested in a natural resources career, as an Ecological Restoration Technician. Cardinal State, LLC provides a full array of landscape construction, stream and shoreline restoration, ecological restoration, and green infrastructure services to clients in the private and public sectors throughout the greater Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin area. A successful candidate for this position will have experience or have a desire to gain experience in the following areas: invasive plant species control, native plant and seed installation, stream and shoreline stabilization/restoration, prescribed burning, traditional landscape management, and other types of habitat restoration. This position is full-time but depends on workload and weather conditions. Overtime hours will be required during the peak construction/growing season. The majority of work is outdoors, often in inclement weather, in rugged terrain. This position will require extended periods of standing, walking, and lifting heavy objects up to 50 pounds.
This is a union position with a full union benefits package.
- Work as a vital and collaborative ecological restoration crew member managing a variety of native habitat/ecosystem types found throughout the Midwest
- Receive direction and instruction from Project Managers and Foreman. Carry out assigned duties in a safe and efficient manner
- Under direct supervision, accurately measure and mix herbicides for application
- Under direct supervision operate hand tools and small engine equipment to complete restoration activities
- Communicate with other crew members and Foreman about site conditions and daily progress to reach project and client goals
- Attend required training sessions, certification programs or participate in self-study as required
- Apply training to daily work
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment
- Assist in preparing vehicles, trailers, equipment, tools and materials/supplies so that they are cleaned, repaired, re-stocked, organized and ready for daily operations
- Maintain provided personal protective equipment and adhere to Cardinal State’s Safety Program
- A degree in biology, botany, ecology, conservation, environmental science, or related fields is preferred
- 0-2 years of experience in the field conducting ecological restoration activities
- Agriculture Certified Pesticide Operator/Applicator License or the ability and willingness to obtain within the first 3 months of employment
- Native and non-native plant identification skills both herbaceous and woody is a plus. However, a strong desire to gain identification skills and learn plant species throughout the Midwest is a must.
- Ability and willingness to learn operation and maintenance of all field equipment including but not limited to a 4x4 ATV/UTV with spray rig, backpack sprayers, chain saws, and brush saws.
- Ability and willingness to obtain prescribed burn experience and S130/S190 certifications