Position Website and Application Information
The Illinois State Water Survey (ISWS) is part of the Prairie Research Institute at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, which is centrally located between Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis. Our research and service programs provide citizens, industries, and government agencies at all levels with timely, science-based information and analyses necessary to manage our water resources wisely for economic development and a sustainable environment. Learn more at go.illinois.edu/PRIjobs.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
ISWS is seeking to hire a Visiting Scientific Specialist, Hydrology to conduct research and gather information from water and wastewater related sources, evaluate research data quality, develop written summaries based on research, and develop scientific content for water/wastewater operator website.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Research , gather, read, review, and edit, technical materials for a water/wastewater operator website.
• Maintain associated records by entering data, evaluating information quality, and developing scientific content for the web, sometimes through interviews and researching water
• Develop and create technical summaries of web-based documents, media, and tools related to drinking water systems, wastewater systems, and operators, written clearly and
easily understood, of useful documents, media, and tools on other websites to be used for a website and accompanying database by stakeholders, professionals, and the general
• Assist with web-based content development related to water and wastewater topics of special interest.
• Serve as primary contact with water and wastewater industry professionals.
• Conduct outreach via phone and email to stakeholders in the water industry.
• Provide editorial expertise and manage data entered into the internal database.
• Collaborate with staff on focused special projects related to the development of content for a water operator and private well owner websites
• Manage a web-based national events calendar.
• Keep abreast of development in this discipline.
• Perform other duties as needed in order to further the mission and goals of PRI.
Education: BS degree in a physical science-related field, or in Journalism or Writing. Alternate degree fields will be considered/accepted depending on the nature and depth of the experience as it relates to this position.
Experience: Experience with technical/scientific writing, MS suite.
Knowledge requirements: A background in writing, knowledge of the web and social media, ability to interact and ask questions of water professionals? good verbal and written communication skills & ability to work independently and in a team environment. Effective, personal relations, collaboration, organizational, teamwork, and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to perform effectively in a diverse and fast-paced work environment consisting of multiple and changing priorities with stringent deadlines, under minimal supervision. Attention to detail, sound judgment, and strong conflict resolution skills. Proficiency in commonly-employed software and databases.
Preferred: BS degree in a water, geology, geography , or environmental field. One year related research and/or field work with hydrology.
The work of this position takes place in an office setting. The work is sedentary and involves remaining in a stationary position for extended periods of time working at a computer, using a keyboard and mouse, and using repetitive hand motions.
This is a visiting full-time academic professional appointment, renewable annually based upon satisfactory progress in the position and continued funding. Position may become a regular position at a later date depending on funding and a programmatic need. The starting date is negotiable, and salary is commensurate with experience and skills.