The Wetlands Initiative is hiring a seasonal restoration technician to work with our team conducting large-scale prairie and wetland restoration at the U.S. Forest Service’s Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie in Wilmington, IL and at projects within the Calumet Region. The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to conduct restoration work across a mosaic of wetland and prairie habitats, and will learn about restoring hydrology, native plants and their habitats, and techniques for managing invasive plant species. Responsibilities of the restoration technician will include installing native plant species as seed and plugs, managing invasive plant species through herbicide application and mechanical means, and other tasks associated with ecological restoration.
- Experience in biology, environmental science, botany, ecology, and/or natural resource management.
- Familiarity with or a desire to learn more about prairies and wetlands and landscape-scale ecosystem restoration.
- Interest in native plants, including basic plant identification skills.
- Illinois Pesticide Applicator’s license or ability to pass the Illinois Pesticide Applicator exam within three weeks of starting.
- Ability to use power tools including weed-whackers and power augers following completion of appropriate training.
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- A good attitude and willingness to be a team player.
- Availability to work 7:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.