Position Description & Application
40% 1. Receives training for a period of six to twelve months duration to gain knowledge in reviewing corrective actions plans and reporting for groundwater and soil remediation of Special Projects to determine if they are technically adequate in the Special Projects and Financial Unit, for the Bureau of Land (BOL), in accordance with regulations pertaining to 35 Illinois Administrative Code, Part 731 and Part 734;
- Prepares for close review, written and verbal comments to owner/operators regarding technical deficiencies
- Coordinates with other Division/Agency personnel regarding proposed alternative technologies
- Observes and assists with establishing cleanup objectives for site remediation
25% 2. Receives training in reviewing 20-day, 45-day, and site investigation plans and reports for completeness to ensure all requirements of 35 Illinois Administrative Code, Part 731 and Part 734 were abided by;
- Prepares review letters to send to owners/operators regarding deficiencies found in the 20-day, 45-day, and site investigation plans and reports
05% 3. Receives training in checking to ensure time and material breakdown, bills and receipts are including receipts are included in the budget and reimbursement submittals;
- Observes and assists with reviewing claims submitted for reasonableness and prepares summaries for the immediate Supervisor of those costs which are unreasonable
05% 4. Receives training in performing site inspections at Leaking Underground Storage Tanks (LUST) sites;
- Determines compliance with all approved plans and regulations
- Develops working relationships and coordinates with other Agency personnel to establish cleanup objectives for LUST sites
- Develops working relationships and coordinates with the Community Relations staff to prepare community relations plans and to implement said plans at assigned LUST cleanup sites, and assists higher level specialists with presentations at meetings
- Implements safety standards (subject to 29 CFR 1910.120) in performance of inspection activities
- Travels in performance of duties
05% 5. Receives training in assisting the Division of Legal Counsel in the preparation of enforcement cases against owners/operators who have not complied with the requirements of 35 Illinois Administrative Code, Part 731 and Part 734;
- Observes and assists with the Illinois Pollution Control Board appeals regarding eligibility decisions, deductible amounts, and nonpayment costs which were deemed unreasonable by the Agency
05% 6. Utilizes a personal computer to update databases, document notes, maintain reports, receive and send emails.
05% 7. Performs other duties as required or assigned, which are reasonably within the scope of duties enumerated above.
- Requires a bachelor's degree in some field of the life sciences.
- This class is included as an Upward Mobility Program credential title.
Preferred Qualifications (In Order of Significance)
- Prefers the ability to prepare comprehensive written and oral reports.
- Prefers the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Prefers the ability to profit from training received in the designated area of state government.
- Prefers the ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with other employees and agency representatives.
- Prefers the ability to utilize a personal computer with knowledge of Microsoft Word, Access and Excel software.