Land Protection Specialist
Agency: Southwest Michigan Land Conservancy
Location: Galesburg, MI
Closing Date: March 25, 2021
Contact: Send resume and cover letter by March 25, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Land Protection Specialist (LPS) is part of the Land Protection Department, SWMLC’s team responsible for sourcing, structuring and closing land protection projects. Projects include nature preserve acquisitions, deed restrictions such as conservation easements, and stewardship agreements. The LPS also helps communicate SWMLC’s mission and work to the public, and participates in partnerships and community presentations. The LPS reports to the Director of Land Protection and the Executive Director.
- Tasks associated with land protection transactions, including:
- Developing relationships with landowners in SWMLC’s 9-county region;
- Completing fieldwork, baseline reports, maps and ecological assessments for conservation properties;
- Promoting SWMLC’s mission through outreach and identifying new properties for protection;
- Assisting in financing land transactions, including completing grant reports, identifying and securing grants or other funding sources;
- Ensuring appropriate compliance in all land transactions, including;
- Participating in site assessments, preparing background information, conducting due diligence investigations, writing reports and other evaluations for potential acquisition projects;
- Assisting other staff with closing land transactions, including;
- Negotiating resolution of any outstanding issues, and coordinating all legal, financial and administrative tasks necessary for successful completion.
- Stewardship and defense of conservation easements:
- Monitoring a large portfolio of easement properties through annual site visits to properties;
- Assisting with landowner communications, including violations and enforcement.
- Participation in organization-wide events and initiatives, including:
- Events, fundraising, donor cultivation, committees, conservation planning, regional partnerships.
- Other responsibilities that may be assigned to this position.
See the complete announcement and apply here.