Position Website and Application Information
35% 1. Receives training for a period of six to twelve months duration to gain knowledge in and assist in conducting routine field inspections/investigations of hazardous and solid waste management and disposal facilities and remediation sites for the Field Operations Section (FOS), Bureau of Land (BOL), Central Region/Peoria;
- Assists in review of the site’s activities
- Determines regulated status, and whether the site is in compliance with laws and regulations.
- Conducts activities that utilize safety equipment and performs rigorous physical activity to meet safety standards to comply with OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120.
- Travels in performance of duties.
35% 2. Receives training to assist in providing for Region Manager’s close review;
- Inspection reports, letters, and memorandums by data collected
- Taking pertinent photos
- Utilizes a personal computer, with word processing and database software
10% 3. Receives training to provide information (verbally or in writing) on relevant environmental matters to facility owners/operators, the public, governmental agencies and others outside the Agency.
- Assist in preparation of necessary compliance and enforcement documents to be utilized in hearings or court cases
- Observes legal proceedings.
(Job Responsibilities continued)
10% 4. Receives training to assist with collecting water, soil and waste samples to substantiate violations and/or determine the extent of contamination;
- Requires the utilization of field and safety equipment;
- Participates to gain knowledge in multi-media inspections and investigations with bureaus and shares pertinent information with them.
05% 5. Attends and participates in meetings and keeps current on relevant laws, regulations, policies and procedures related to waste management in Illinois;
- Attends training and studies related documents to develop skills.
05% 6. Perform other duties as assigned or required, which are reasonably within the scope of duties enumerated above
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in a physical, life or environmental science field.
- This class is included as an Upward Mobility Program credential title.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Requires ability to prepare comprehensive written and oral reports
- Requires ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Requires ability to profit from training received in the designated area of state government
- Requires ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with other employees and agency representatives
- Requires ability to utilize a personal computer with knowledge of Microsoft Office software
Conditions of Employment
- Requires ability to participate in the medical monitoring program,
- Requires ability to pass a physical examination, which is intended to determine whether a person can wear respiratory protection and function in high heat stress situations while wearing chemical protective clothing;
- Requires ability to wear a respirator or other form of respiratory protection
- Requires ability to carry and utilize a self-contained breathing apparatus (weighing approximately 25 pounds).
- Requires ability to wear chemical resistant clothing in high heat stress situations while performing strenuous physical tasks (e.g. carrying equipment up a steep ravine at a temperature up to 100F)
- Requires ability to lift heavy equipment (e.g. 45 pounds)
- Requires ability of hiking, climbing, wading in streams or getting in/out of boats or swimming in emergency situations to get to sites (as required by OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120).
- This position will be required to complete (within 90 days of employment) and maintain working knowledge of (8-hour annual refresher) and/or certification to ensure position is up to date with laws, rules and regulations to maintain compliance with IL Department of Labor Occupational Safety Regulations: 40-hour OSHA training.
- Requires a valid driver’s license
- Requires the ability to travel
Work Hours: 8:30-5:00 M/F
Work Location: 412 SW Washington St Peoria, IL 61602-1597