Position Description and Application Information
Overview: Pheasants Forever in partnership with Ducks Unlimited seeks a highly motivated team-oriented individual looking to join a dynamic Team, with a passion for wildlife, conservation, agriculture, and technology that has an interest in working with farmers to find conservation solutions. The employee will be a key member of the Precision Ag & Conservation Solutions Team within Pheasants Forever. This position offers a unique opportunity to modernize conservation delivery by work directly with farmers, private landowners, consultants, retail ag and partners to analyze operations based on economic performance and look at alternative practices that increase conservation adoption, habitat and in-field profitability The employee will process and analyze relevant on-farm data to provide profitability scenarios and Return on Investment (ROI) planning to farmers using a host of software platforms. Employee will also develop and present economic scenarios for conservation, habitat, working lands and other best management practices on acres that will result in increased profitability. The employee will be based out of a home office with regular travel within the project area and on-farm visits. Some overnight travel is required for trainings and Team meetings. The Central Precision Ag Position will provide assistances to landowners and partners in the following Illinois counties: Stark, Marshall, Putnam, LaSalle, Kendall, Grundy, Livingston, McLean, Woodford, Tazewell, Peoria, Ford, Iroquois, Champaign, Vermillion, DeWitt Piatt, Coles and Douglas.
- Lead in the identification and engagement of interested farmers.
- Collaborate with farmers to provide economic analyses of best management practices that increase producer profitability and create habitat.
- Make sound and ethical recommendations in order to maximize profitability for producers while providing water, soil and wildlife benefits.
- Develop and maintain relationships with agricultural partners consistent with their needs/wants.
- Facilitate a high-level of communication between the farmer (including trusted advisors) and partners.
- Focus on understanding producer needs and provide feedback on ways to improve performance.
- Serves as the liaison between farmers requesting alternative options and appropriate IL biologist, USDA, FWS or other partner personnel.
- Complete customer tracking, data entry and project reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Organize and host workshops, field days and conduct other outreach efforts.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong customer relations and interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively, and exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to make initial contacts, cold calls and develop new relationships.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently without direct supervision.
- Knowledge or the ability to understand modern farm equipment, technology and practices.
- Commitment to maintain standards and address issues in a timely, professional manner.
- Knowledge of conservation program offerings, including USDA Farm Bill Programs, as well as state and local programs, is preferred.
- Must have experience with ArcGIS with the ability to import and export data, create and edit shapefiles, and create professional looking maps.
- Valid driver’s license required; use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided).
Education and Experience Guideline: Applicants for this position should possess a Bachelor’s degree in Natural Resources Management, Wildlife Management, Precision Agriculture, Agronomy, Ag Systems Technology, Ag Business, or related field. Candidates with an Associate degree and 5 or more years of relevant experience will be considered. Experience working on a farm operation and a knowledge of Conservation Programs is strongly preferred. A passion for the outdoors, conservation and working directly with farmers, private landowners and other professionals is highly beneficial.
Starting Salary: Commensurate with Experience + Benefits