Location: Lost Valley Visitor Center
Date Available: September 2015
Closing Date: 8/21/2015
LOCATION: Richmond, IL
SALARY: Annual starting salary at $45,915
The McHenry County Conservation District is currently seeking a Restoration Ecologist for the management and restoration of the natural features of District lands. This position conducts assigned biological inventories, designs and implements natural habitat restoration projects, and monitors natural features on District lands as assigned.
Job responsibilities include, but not limited to:
• Collects ecological data as assigned and assists in biological inventory work as required.
• Makes recommendations to the Natural Resources Manager for inclusion in departmental land protection requests as well as conversion of existing farm leases to native communities.
• Supervises the Restoration Technician as well as coordinates and assists staff, seasonal/ temporary employees and volunteers in natural resource management projects.
• Plans and conducts prescribed burns, brush cutting, weed control, and hydrological restoration activities. Supervises activities of contractors on restoration projects as assigned.
• Assists in the collection of native seeds and plants native seeds in restoration projects utilizing both machinery and by hand as well as conducts noxious and problem weed control with herbicide, biological control agents and through mechanical means as needed.
• Carries out routine and advanced maintenance of equipment.
• Fabricates new equipment as needed and assists in the operation and maintenance of Natural Resources support facilities such as the regional shops and Research Field Station.
• Transports natural resource management equipment for utilization in the field.
• Provides professional expertise to other District divisions.
• Assists in public and staff educational efforts in conjunction with other divisions within the District. Participates in interpreting the District's natural resource management efforts.
• Prepares and leads natural resource presentations for the general public, staff, and volunteers.
• Assists the Natural Resource Manager in the development and formulation of Natural Ecosystem Management Plans.
• Develops bid specifications for restoration projects as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications for this position include, but not limited to:
• Bachelor's degree (B. A./ B.S.) from four-year college or university in biology, ecology, zoology, or a natural resource related field.
• Four years related experience working in a natural resource management program and one year of supervisory experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Considerable knowledge of ecological principles, and Midwest natural communities and natural history.
• Considerable knowledge of ecology, zoology, and botany as they apply to natural resource and land management issues.
• Ability to carry out job duties safely using and maintaining power equipment such as chainsaws and brush cutters and heavy equipment.
• Thorough knowledge of the methods, practices and techniques involved in land restoration projects.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques involved in the development of sound land management practices.
• Thorough knowledge of laws, rules, and regulatory requirement relating to development and management of wild lands.
• Thorough knowledge of the range of natural resource phenomena occurring in northern Illinois.
• Good knowledge of the professional field of ecological restoration and natural resource management and of the trends and innovations occurring in such programs and projects nationwide.
• Possess or be willing to obtain a valid U.S.D.A Pesticide Operator’s license.
• Possess or be willing to obtain prescription burn crew certificate.
• A valid motor vehicle operator's license and be able to obtain and maintain a CDL.
• Knowledge in using Microsoft software programs.
QUESTIONS: Contact HR at 815-338-6223 x1237.