- May be non-competitively converted to a career/career-conditional appointment within 120 days of successful completion of academic program
- Student positions are provided opportunity for development and training. Assignments become more responsible as incumbent increases knowledge and skills through work experience and academic training.
- Assignments at this level are designed to orient, train, and increase the incumbent's knowledge in the engineering sciences, to problems concerned with testing a wide variety of systems and equipment.
- Performs a variety of assignments selected to broaden skills and provide practical experience to prepare for progressively more complex assignments.
- Full performance duties typically involve creating, exploring, evaluating, designing, and sharing solutions and the validity of their predicted performance to resolve problems, conditions, and issues.
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Students will initially be appointed to a term appointment in the competitive service for an initial period expected to last more than 1 year; may be extended up to 4 years.
- Student appointment expires 120 days after completion of the designated academic course of study, unless the student is selected for noncompetitive conversion.
- Some positions may require one or more of the following: driver's and/or boat license, wear of uniform, drug testing, and/or physical.
- Positions will be required to work weekends and holidays.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
For this announcement a Student: a person who, (1) is currently enrolled in, and in good academic standing at, a full-time program at an institution of higher education; and (2) is making satisfactory progress towards receipt of a baccalaureate or graduate degree; and (3) has completed at least one year of the program.
To qualify for a GS-03, students must have completed one full academic year of post-high school study.
To qualify for a GS-04, students must have completed two full academic years of post-high school study or have an associate's degree.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Students being considered for initial appointments to positions leading to target positions with positive education requirements should be enrolled in directly-related degree programs in order to meet the OPM qualification requirements for the target position upon completion of their academic program.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 18 - position.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
- May be selected at any grade level with non-competitive promotion potential to target grade. Non-competitive promotion potential to the target grade is based on time-in-grade requirements and demonstrated ability to perform the higher graded duties.
- No incentives are being authorized.
- Information may be requested regarding the vaccination status of selected applicants for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols. For more information, visit https://www.saferfederalworkforce.gov/faq/vaccinations/.
See https://www.usajobs.gov/ for similar positions in other locations
Position Description and Post Information