The Engineering and Transportation Services Department within Facilities and Services at the University of Illinois seeks to fill a full-time Visiting Active Transportation Coordinator. The Active Transportation Coordinator is responsible for supporting the programs and services which discourage single-occupancy vehicles at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The Coordinator will partner with various entities across the campus and the community to focus on the five E’s of active transportation: education, encouragement, enforcement, engineering, and evaluation. Responsibilities include building internal and external partnerships, managing projects, securing funding, implementing safety education programs, working directly with students, faculty and staff, and conducting research on best practices.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promote and encourage active transportation on campus. This includes spreading awareness of the existing programs, recommending and developing new programs, and being the primary point of contact for transportation related inquiries from campus, the community, and the press.
- Advocate for the rights and responsibilities of campus pedestrians, bicyclists, and transit users. This includes tracking requests, issues, and progress towards solutions, as well as identifying and implementing appropriate solutions to issues that arise.
- Serve as a liaison to sustainability and safety staff, active transportation advocates, and community and regional partners; including serving on various committees, working groups, and teams, as the representative for F&S Transportation Demand Management.
- Assist TDM Coordinator by helping to initiate active transportation infrastructure projects, ensuring their timely implementation, and communicating with customers.
- Track and report on implementation of the Campus Bike Plan, including progress toward the Plan’s stated goals and objectives, and managing future updates of the plan.
- Develop and implement transportation-related educational and promotional resources, programs, campaigns and events; including engaging student groups, faculty, staff, and volunteers to participate in transportation events, education, and outreach.
- Work with the Campus Bike Center Manager and The Bike Project of Urbana-Champaign to improve and promote the Campus Bike Center.
- Work with the UIPD and other safety entities to promote safe and responsible cycling through education and enforcement efforts for campus cyclists.
- Seek funding for active transportation infrastructure, programming, and services, through grant writing and other means; including developing a program for receiving donations in support of the Campus Bike Plan.
- Conduct research on best practices.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree;
Preferred: Educational background or experience in a sustainability-related or transportation-related field, such as engineering, environmental sciences/studies, natural resources, planning, public administration/policy, or similar fields.
Required Experience: strong written and verbal communication skills; strong organizational skills; willingness and ability to speak publically and to interact with media representatives; ability to manage student volunteers, work with students in an academic setting, and to work collaboratively with students, staff, faculty, and off-campus community members.
Experience with bicycle friendly communities and universities preferred.
Salary is commensurate with demonstrated ability and experience. This is a full-time 12 month visiting academic professional appointment. The proposed starting date is as soon as possible following the close date.
Application Procedures: For full consideration, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, a copy of your college transcripts, and the names/contact information for three professional references by September 16, 2015. Applicants may be interviewed before September 16, 2015; however no hiring decision will be made until after that date. For further information regarding the application procedures, contact Nicole McCurry at firstname.lastname@example.org.