The Summer Undergraduate Research Experience in Toxicology (SURE Tox) program at the University of Illinois will provide high-quality research experiences for under-represented minority junior and senior undergraduate students during the summer academic break. The program involves active participation by faculty members from several departments and colleges at the University of Illinois, all of whom have expertise in toxicology and experience trainingundergraduate students. The program also interacts with the PEER and the Environmental Toxicology Program.
The training program will accept a total of 7 junior and senior undergraduate students per year who will spend 10 weeks over the summer in the program. The specific goals of the program are to:
1) match participants with faculty mentors who will direct the student to complete a hypothesis-driven project in the field of toxicology,
2) help each student learn laboratory techniques and research skills,
3) provide didactic training on animal use in research, the responsible conduct of research (e.g., research misconduct, mentor-trainee relationships, and data management), and use of the electronic library,
4) train students to prepare scientific posters and to present their work at scientific meetings,
5) provide networking opportunities for students to meet other students and faculty members in research, and
6) provide students with information on academic vs. industry careers in toxicology, and
7) provide each participant the opportunity to participate in GRE Institute workshops to prepare for the Graduate Record Exam.
At the conclusion of the program, each student will present their work in a poster session held on campus. This training program provides a unique opportunity for undergraduate students, particularly under-represented minority students, to obtain training and research experience in the field of toxicology at a research intensive university with outstanding toxicology programs.
The program will provide:
- A stipend to each student ($4,000 over 10 weeks)
- Funds for laboratory supplies ($1,000)
- Room and board (includes food) at Hendrick House dormitory
- Participation in the GRE workshop and the program will pay GRE exam fees
if trainees take the GRE
- 3-4 independent study credits (tuition waived for in-state and out-of- state students)
- Summer health insurance (McKinley student health fee coverage)
- Access to campus recreational facilities, including gyms, pools and sports facilities
- Access to the university libraries
- Pass for free access to the MTD bus, which has extensive network access coverage http://vetmed.illinois.edu/suretox/
Please note the deadline for applications in April 1, 2016. Please feel free to send this link to anyone who may be interested. The students do not have to be UIUC students.
Please note the deadline for applications in April 1, 2016.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Illini Wildlife and Conservation Club | Secretary Animal Sciences Class of 2017 firstname.lastname@example.org