Natural Resources Management Crew Member – Springfield Township, MI
Job Title: Natural Resources Crew Member
Location: Springfield Township, MI
Employment Status: Temporary, Non-Exempt (approx. 35 hours per week, not to exceed 24 weeks)
Required Education: High school diploma and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management.
Reports To: Reports directly to Natural Resources Manager
Starting Salary: $11-$13/hour depending on experience.
Starting Date: TBD, late April-early May desired.
Job Summary and Essential Functions:
Under the supervision of the Natural Resources Manager, the Natural Resources Crew Member performs ecological restoration activities across Springfield Township in a diverse array of habitats on township-owned and partner lands. Management activities in support of ecological restoration include invasive species control, preparations for prescribed burning, debris removal and collection of field data in support of these activities. Other activities may include assisting with volunteer workdays, township events and park maintenance tasks. He/she will be responsible for preparation and maintenance of equipment and work logs used in these management activities. This is a temporary position requiring approximately 35 hours per week, not to exceed 24 weeks. The position involves extensive outdoor physical labor in diverse weather conditions and may require working some evenings and weekends. The Natural Resources Management Crew Member is supervised by the Natural Resources Manager, does not supervise other staff, but may supervise volunteers.
Responsibilities & Scope
- Supervises no staff, but may help plan and direct natural resources work groups or volunteers.
- May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain, and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Requires considerable physical exertion and/or muscular strain.
- Requires long hours in isolated settings.
- Makes day to day decisions as delegated by supervisor.
- May work under infrequent supervision.
- High school diploma and 1 year’s training in science-related field or related experience in land management.
- Experience recognizing plant and animal species.
- Experience operating various types of equipment.
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Must be able to obtain related licenses or certifications as required. (e.g. First Aid, CPR, herbicide application, and driver’s license).
- PC familiarity, including database knowledge.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- 1 - 2 years’ experience in land management.
- Pesticide Applicator’s license
- Experience working with or knowledge of natural systems.
- Ability to recognize plant and animal species to complete natural resource management activities.
- Ability to operate various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (e.g.; chainsaw, backpack sprayer, tractor, etc.).
- Ability to follow instructions from colleagues.
Send resume and cover letter by mail or email to the Springfield Township Supervisor’s Office. Resumes will be accepted through April 1, 2016.
Springfield Township Supervisor’s Office RE: Natural Resources Crew Member 12000 Davisburg Road Davisburg, MI 48350