Anticipated Start Date: May 2016
Overview: The Habitat Strike Team and this position is a part of a partnership between Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Illinois Recreational Access Program (IRAP) and Pheasants Forever, Inc. The incumbent will supervise and conduct habitat management work on IRAP leased private land and may also work on other IDNR private lands programs. This position is a full-time, permanent employee of Pheasants Forever, Inc. and will receive daily leadership from Pheasants Forever staff and/or IDNR staff. This position will be located in Central or West Central Illinois. .
Duties: The Habitat Strike Team Coordinator will assist with all aspects of managing the assigned wildlife management plans. Major responsibilities include:
- Directing, supervising, and implementing habitat management work on IRAP leased property and other IDNR private lands and public wildlife areas;
- Procuring supplies and equipment;
- Supervising and participating in the construction, maintenance and repair of area equipment and supplies;
- Providing public information about IRAP and other habitat management techniques;
- Participating in scientific field studies and surveys;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience, in a Natural Resources field, with a concentration in forestry, wildlife biology, fisheries, ecology, or a related field. A basic understanding of environmental, agricultural and/or natural resource science. Preference will be given to candidates that possess a bachelor’s or master’s degree with an emphasis in wildlife management;
- Ability to operate, maintain, and transport (trailering and securing) farming equipment (tractor, planter, mower)
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and partner agencies;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision;
- Knowledge of wildlife ecology, forestry, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management equipment and tools in the development of wildlife habitat;
- Prescribed fire, S/130 and S/190, certificate is required within 45 days of hiring.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills;
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Chemical Applicators License is required within 45 days of hiring
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform habitat management practices. Experience with computer applications (Microsoft Office programs, GIS); good communication skills; supervisory experience and experience using habitat management tools and equipment. A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field and/or related field experience.
Salary: $32,000-$38,000 depending on experience and qualifications + Health and Retirement Benefits
To Apply: Visit our Recruitment website at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please combine your cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications, resume, and 3 references into 1 Word document or PDF file on the Recruitment website.
Pheasants Forever is a an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled