We are now accepting applications for summer 2022 for the NSF-funded Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) Ecology in Human-Dominated Landscapes at Miami University. Undergraduate students will have the opportunity to conduct research in ecology, evolution and environmental science at sites in southwestern Ohio, guided by faculty mentors and in collaboration with other Miami students.
The objectives of our program are to (1) prepare REU participants in all aspects of scientific research; (2) bolster REU participants' professional skills and understanding of how professional training, environmental ethics, and societal outcomes are linked; and (3) expose REU participants to the ways science and ethics can lead to conservation solutions through hands-on service learning. Research projects will be in many aspects of ecology, evolution and environmental science, including community ecology, limnology, behavioral ecology, microbiology, conservation genetics, ecotoxicology, and more. Our program has run for over 20 years, and you can check previous research experiences HERE!
Duration of the program
- 10 weeks in Oxford (OH), between May 30th and August 5th
- U.S. Citizen, National, or Permanent Resident. We strongly encourage applications from students from diverse backgrounds, including historically under-represented groups in STEM, those with financial need, and those students from institutions with limited research opportunities.
- Students must be enrolled as undergraduates for Fall 2022 at their home institutions.
- Prior coursework in ecology, evolution or environmental science is recommended.
- Funding for research
- Summer stipend
- Room & board at Miami University
- Paid travel expenses
Application process: The process for applying is described HERE. You will need to supply a CV or resume, statement of interest, and unofficial transcripts from your current and any former colleges or universities. Two letters of recommendation are also required.