Position Website with Application Information
Primary Position Function/Summary:
Conduct field work and laboratory experiments; collect and process soil samples; supervise undergraduate researchers, support other lab activities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Major responsibilities in the field include the following: collect plant, soil, and rhizosphere samples for microbial analysis and laboratory experiments.
- Major responsibilities in the laboratory include the following: organizing and processing soil samples; extracting DNA; submitting samples for DNA sequencing and qPCR; preparing reagents; conducting microbial activity assays; supervising undergraduate students assisting with this project (including training and assigning work and tracking work performance and deliverables); and purchasing and receiving chemicals and scientific supplies related to this project.
- In addition, the candidate will assist with data compilation, project reports, data analysis, and manuscript preparation.
Required Education, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Education Required – Bachelor’s degree in biology, environmental science, or related field is required
Education Preferred – MS degree in biology, environmental science, or related field is preferred.
Experience Required –
Research experience in the laboratory and in the field related to microbial ecology or plant and soil science.
Experience Preferred –
- Ability to plan and coordinate research activities
- Ability to carry out bioinformatics workflow and statistical analyses typical for microbial ecology analyses.
- Experience carrying out statistical analyses in the R statistical environment.
Training, Licenses or Certifications – Valid driver’s license
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability – Required
- Basic computer skills (MS Word, Excel)
- Ability to travel to research sites in Illinois
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability – Preferred
- Ability to work in a large collaborative team environment.
- Ability to work long days in the field under hot and humid conditions.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Understanding of microbial ecology bioinformatics workflows and statistical analyses typical for microbial ecology.
- Ability to carry out statistical analyses in the R statistical environment.
- Experience with databases (Filemaker Pro) and data management.