HLR is looking for energetic individuals with an ecology background to work in our Environmental Department for the summer. Work includes learning native plant identification, herbicide application, and mechanical control of wetlands, prairies, lakes. Interns must be able to work at least 3 months (May-August), start and end dates are flexible with university schedules. Position would be based out of our Elgin, Illinois office.
- Work full-time/part-time, approximately 8-12 hours a day
- Perform field work, herbicide application, and mechanical control (using brush cutters, mowers, and hand tools)
- Live plant, shrub and tree installation, algae control applications, tree and shrub removal, litter pick up, and seed and erosion control blanket installation
- Use power tools, trailers, and motorized equipment to perform work
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Illinois Pesticide Applicator or Operator license required 60 days prior to employment (HLR will assist with licensure costs)
- Experience communicating effectively with residents and other stakeholders
- Enthusiastic, courteous, positive attitude, and team spirit
- Ecology background a plus
- While performing the duties of this job the employee will frequently be walking on uneven surfaces and must be able to lift and or carry up to 40 pounds
- Ability to withstand a variety of extreme outdoor temperatures including cold, damp, heat, humidity, insects, pollen, and wet conditions
- Ability to carry backpacks weighing 25-40 pounds for extended periods of time. Occasional lifting of 50 pounds plus.
TO APPLY: http://www.hlrengineering.com/careers/restoration-summer-intern/