SEASONAL RESTORATION TECHNICIAN
POSITION SUMMARY: Our ecological restoration team cares for natural areas mostly in the northern Cook County (Chicago region), positively impacting habitat and open space. The Seasonal Restoration Technician (Technician) is part of this team and provides ecological restoration services focused on the control of invasive species, mostly by selective herbicide application to targeted species growing among native plants. The team consists of staff members of Olson Ecological Solutions (OES) and a prime contractor. This is a seasonal position, typically April through October. Students with a summer schedule within this range are encouraged to apply.
SUPERVISORY RELATIONSHIPS: The Technician reports to the Restoration Crew Leader of OES and takes direction from the Foreman of the prime contractor other than OES.
• Plant identification
• Small tool and equipment operation
• Be enthusiastic, courteous, cooperative, positive, and a team player
• Must be 18 years or older
• Be able to obtain and maintain a Pesticide Operator’s/Applicator’s license in multiple states (most likely Illinois, Indiana, and/or Wisconsin)
• Hold and maintain a state issued driver’s license free from suspension or revocation
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
• Work requires exposure to disagreeable conditions; be willing and able to work outdoors on uneven terrain and in adverse weather and wetness conditions
• Work approximately 37 hours per week, 5 days per week depending on weather and work load
• Required to meet at work sites with personal vehicle
• Use of personal protective equipment is required
ESSENTIAL DUTIES: The Technician must be able to perform the essential duties of this job as described below at the direction of the Crew Leader or Foreman. This list is not exhaustive.
• Control invasive species, including:
o Herbicide application (backpack sprayer)
o Grass/field mowing
o Brush cutting, piling, and removing
• Assist prescribed, controlled burning
• Install native plant materials (plugs, seed, bare root)
• Use small hand tools, gas-powered tools, and machinery (e.g. chipper, ATV, chainsaw, weed whacker, walk-behind mower)
Olson Ecological Solutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
An application form can be found at www.olsonecosolutions.com.
Please submit your questions, application form, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.