The USDA Forest Service is hiring student and recent graduate positions in biology, ecology, botany, and natural resources across the nation.
The following positions will be open on www.usajobs.gov, Sept. 25-Oct. 1, 2020.
- Intern Indefinites – Announcement Numbers
- 21-NCH-FW-499-345-430-INT, Botany, GS-3/4/5/7/9
- 21-NCH-FW-499-345-482-INT, Fish Biologist, GS-3/4/5/7/9
- 21-NCH-FW-499-345-486-INT, Wildlife Biologist, GS-3/4/5/7/9
- Recent Graduates – Announcement Numbers
- 21-NCH-FW-430-57-RG, Botany, GS-5/7/9
- 21-NCH-FW-482-57-RG, Fish Biologist, GS-5/7/9
- 21-NCH-FW-486-57-RG, Wildlife Biologist, GS-5/7/9
- 21-NCH-FS-404-45-RG, Biological Technician, GS-4/5/7
Review the job announcement carefully for required information to include in your application. Some positions have specific educational requirements (e.g., wildlife and fish biologist). Employment start dates vary.
Visit the Forest Service Jobs webpage, fs.usda.gov/fsjobs, to learn more about career opportunities, benefits, hiring events, resume webinars, and resources to help with the application process.
The minimum qualification requirements for each grade level of this vacancy announcement are described below:
Note: One full academic year of undergraduate; graduate; vocational; trades; technical or high school is the number of credit hours by the college, university or school to represent one year of full-time study.
- For GS-03: Completion of one full academic year of post-high school study
- For GS-04: Completion of an associate's degree or 2 academic years of post-high school study
- For GS-05: Completion of a bachelor's degree or equivalent degree
May be converted to any position with a Full Performance Level not to exceed GS-09. Conversion to a position with a full performance level of GS-09 is not guaranteed, you may or may not be offered conversion.
For Wildlife Biologist Intern: Education
Education completed in foreign colleges and universities may be used if it has been accredited or evaluated by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Degree: biological science that included:
- At least 9 semester hours in such wildlife subjects as mammalogy, ornithology, animal ecology, wildlife management, or research courses in the field of wildlife biology; and
- At least 12 semester hours in zoology in such subjects as general zoology, invertebrate zoology, vertebrate zoology, comparative anatomy, physiology, genetics, ecology, cellular biology, parasitology, entomology, or research courses in such subjects (Excess courses in wildlife biology may be used to meet the zoology requirements where appropriate.); and
- At least 9 semester hours in botany or the related plant sciences.
- Combination of education and experience: equivalent to a major in biological science (i.e., at least 30 semester hours), with at least 9 semester hours in wildlife subjects, 12 semester hours in zoology, and 9 semester hours in botany or related plant science, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Basic Qualification Requirements for the GS-05 and GS-07:
Degree: botany; or basic plant science that included at least 24 semester hours in botany.
Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in botany or basic plant science that included at least 24 semester hours in botany, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
In addition to the requirements described above, the following additional education and/or experience are required for the grade(s) specified.
Specialized Experience Requirement:
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
For the GS-07: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 grade level; OR one full year of graduate level education; OR an appropriate combination of graduate level education and specialized experience; OR Superior Academic Achievement (to determine if you are eligible, go to: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp). The education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.