Position Description and Application Information
Employees at this level supervise and are immediately responsible for work related to the maintenance and physical operation of a park area. They work under supervision from a designated supervisor.
A(n) Park Supervisor typically –
- serves as custodian of materials, tools, and equipment.
- supervises, performs, and instructs subordinates in lawns, shrubs, trees, roads, trails, and parking area maintenance.
- supervises and performs operations related to snow removal, drainage, road repairs, and timber management.
- supervises, performs, and instructs subordinates in greenhouse, nursery, and other growing operations.
- advises on the selection and termination of employees, schedules and assigns work, and assists in evaluating employee’s performance.
- performs record keeping duties as required.
- performs all duties peculiar to and normally required in the lower level of this series as necessary.
- performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduation or equivalent
- Any one or any combination of the following, totaling three (3) years (36 months), from the categories below:
- Work experience in park or institutional grounds maintenance or closely related field
- Coursework in Horticulture, Landscape Architecture, Forestry or closely related field
- 30 semester hours equals 12 months
- 60 semester hours equals 24 months
- 90 semester hours equals 36 months
- Possession of a current State of Illinois Pesticide Applicator’s License as applicable to the work assignments of the position to be filled
- Possession of a valid State of Illinois driver's license, the class of the license depending on the type of the vehicle(s) to be operated
**Note: Completion of Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture, Landscape Architecture, may be substituted for Credential Requirement # 2 above.
For more information about this Civil Service classification:
This Park Supervisor position is a 100%-time, benefits-eligible Civil Service position. The work schedule is Monday - Friday, (37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $26.03 per hour.