Division of General Studies Summer Peer Advisor
Due March 25
The Division of General Studies (DGS) is seeking undergraduate student leaders, who are interested in being a positive influence on the DGS campus community, to assist with our summer registration program.
DGS is the starting point for the University of Illiniois students who wish to explore their options before declaring a mahor. We also serve students in transition between colleges or majors. The DGS student body is approximately 3,000 students. The summer peer advisors will work closely with DGS advisors and administrators to gain necessary knowledge to assist incoming freshman in planning for their first semester of college.
DGS Summer Peer Advisors will:
- Learn about the academic advising profession by being an integral part of Summer Registration
- Collaborate with DGS academic advisors, administrators, and other campus partners
- Serve as a point person for roughly 1,700 new students
- Facilitate morning small group meetings for DGS students during Summer Registration
- Assist new students with registration of courses for the fall semester
The DGS Summer Peer Advisor position will assist students with the following skill development:
- Presentation skills
- Small group facilitation
- Problem solving
- Critical Thinking
Candidates must be available for full day training May 13-16, 2019. Peer advisors will be responsible for working approximately 25 hours per week from May 28-July 2.
The pay for this position is $10 per hour.
- Strong communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others
- Knowledge of UI Integrate Self Service
- Knowledge of the Course Explorer website
- Successfully pass a background check
- Minimum GPA of 2.0 or above
- Former DGS student
- Familiarity of ICT process
- Knowledge of Illinois general education requirements
- Junior or Senionr class standing for Fall 2019
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- GPA of 2.5 or above
- Attend a peer advisor informational session
Email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Jessica Arnold, firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on March 25, 2019. Applications received after 5pm will not be considered.
Interested Candidates should attend an informational session to learn more about the program and this position. It is not required to apply but encouraged.
- February 26: 9-10am in IUB 514
- March 5: 3-4pm in IUB 514