Natural Areas Technician (May-Nov.)
Agency: UW-Madison Lakeshore Nature Preserve
Location: Madison, WI
Closing Date: April 11, 2021
Contact: UW Jobs Site: jobs.wisc.edu website, click Search Jobs and enter job # 232252, OR visit https://jobs.hr.wisc.edu/en-us/job/508574/natural-areas-technician
This position assists with land stewardship activities, with an emphasis on invasive species management and volunteer facilitation in the Lakeshore Nature Preserve of the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus. The position operates independently and in coordination with other Preserve staff under the general supervision of the Lakeshore Preserve Program Manager. The position requires knowledge and experience with natural resource land management and the ability to interact in a positive, professional manner with Preserve visitors, students and academic users, and to establish a productive working relationship with Preserve staff and volunteers. We are looking at hiring multiple positions.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison Lakeshore Nature Preserve is committed to the highest standards of customer relations principles for its customers, fellow staff members, students, and visitors. Staff will serve as role models by practicing exemplary behaviors when working with customers and fellow staff members.
GOALS AND WORKER ACTIVITIES:
- Land Management (70%)
- Identify and manage regional native and invasive species via manual (hand-pulling, cutting, hauling), mechanical (brush cutter, chainsaw, mower), and chemical (herbicide application) tools.
- Maintain field equipment and tools in a safe and efficient working condition.
- Install herbaceous and woody plantings and collect/sow native seeds.
- Monitor and map invasive plant species in the Preserve.
- Assist with vegetation surveys.
- Maintain daily records of fieldwork activities and herbicide applications.
- Assist with or facilitate volunteer work events.
- Grounds maintenance (20%)
- Maintain public fire circles and stock wood racks.
- Perform trail maintenance, including mulching trails and removing downed and/or hazard trees.
- Collect and properly dispose of litter.
- Miscellaneous tasks (10%)
- Provide support to fellow staff members as needed.
- Participate and provide input during staff meetings.
- Educate visitors about Preserve policies and stewardship activities while working in the field.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Click here to see the complete announcement.