- Name (First and Last)
WOFL FOX35 News
- Graduation Year (list as "Month Year")
- Minor and/or Certificates
Running, reading, & cooking
Career Information & Advice
- What are your job responsibilities/duties?
Multiple live shots a day, write several packages a day, find sources, and keep daily contacts for story ideas.
- What does a typical day look like?
As a morning reporter you receive your assignment of the day but you have to be ready for breaking news and be able to switch gears (mentally and physically) to move to the next story.
- What do you most enjoy about your job?
Meeting new people and try to help them by sharing their story.
- What is the most difficult aspect of the job?
Speaking to victims after a tragedy has occurred.
- What on-campus activities were you involved with? Where did you gain relevant experience?
I worked at the local/campus WPGU radio station where I learned a lot of the basics of what I do now.
- How did your experience at ILLINOIS and in the College of Media prepare you for your professional life? For this specific position?
It's prepared me to write, meet deadlines, communicate, and gain sources.
- What advice do you have for students interested in this field?
Be sure you love journalism and be ready to WORK. It's not as "easy" as you think it may be. If you're doing this just to be on "tv" and make "a lot of money" then you're in the wrong field.
18. What is one thing that you know now that you wish you had known when you started in the field? When you graduated from the College?
It's a competitive, cut-throat business. Unfortunately, there are very few people within the business that want to see you succeed. It's best to keep to yourself and focus on your goals.