- Name (First and Last)
Diana Dionisio (Pieczynski)
Director, Sponsorship Solutions
- Graduation Year (list as "Month Year")
- Minor and/or Certificates
Sleep, Kids, Hubbie, NPR
Career Information & Advice
Please answer each of the following questions with as much detail as possible while keeping your answers succinct (aim for 2 - 4 sentences per question).
- What are your job responsibilities/duties?
In addition to coming up with revenue generating ideas for the station, I am also in charge of Public Relations for the station and community events.
- What does a typical day look like?
Generally, we are in the middle of setting up one of several promotions running on the station -- think contests or other types of promotions. Mix in PR needs and queries for partnerships, and that gives you a general picture. The days move FAST around here!
- What do you most enjoy about your job?
I like the variety of my job. I get to come up with some unique stuff to fulfill client goals and also work with news to execute fun promotions or social media strategies to meet their needs as well.
- What is the most difficult aspect of the job?
Every day... work to get the "YES". Make it easy for them to say "YES" to you by doing the work necessary for them to have confidence in your ability to deliver. That's something I teach my interns. So I would say my position is more of an 'influencer' than anything else. And sometimes we are tossed more balls than we can juggle...but we juggle!
- What on-campus activities were you involved with? Where did you gain relevant experience?
AAF for sure! I also had internships.
- How did your experience at ILLINOIS and in the College of Media prepare you for your professional life? For this specific position?
Well, I was recruited right out of college for my first job, which was in New York. And I would not have gotten my current job at WGN-TV had I not had that experience first.
- What advice do you have for students interested in this field?
Internships..Internships...Internships. Try to get as much experience OFF campus as you have ON campus.
- What is one thing that you know now that you wish you had known when you started in the field? When you graduated from the College?
Once you get out in the world and start working, you may realize that your strengths fall in many different paths. That is when you may find you need to re-calibrate what you want to do with your life. Take the chance now. You're young... go try it!