“We strive to create an environment that is conducive to a successful educational, personal, and professional experience.”
Champaign, Ill.— International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) is ready to help all international students and scholars as a new semester and a new year begins.
ISSS is committed to providing culturally sensitive services of the highest quality, serving the international population at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign as well as campus units through advising, immigration services, programming, advocacy, and outreach.
Below is a list of tips, events or things returning and new students and scholars need to do or can do at the start of the new semester.
For all students:
- Be sure to register for a full course load by the 10th day of classes, which is Jan. 30. Remember, full-time status, in most cases, is defined as 12 hours during the academic year (fall and spring terms) and six hours during the summer term.
- Are you interested in off-campus work? Find information on the ISSS website!
- Need to know how to maintain your immigration status? You can also check the website for tips!
- Did you know that every Wednesday night ISSS co-hosts programs at the Asian American Cultural Center? Did you know that you’re always invited? Come check it out from 5:30 to 7 p.m. There’s always free dinner and a different topic each Wednesday evening.
- Stay alert and informed regarding all potential scams. Recently, ISSS has been alerted that students have been contacted by individuals claiming to be police officers or law enforcement (either from the U.S. or the student's home country), indicating that the student is suspected of illegal activity, and the asking students to pay money to avoid prosecution. This is a scam. You can read more about scam safety and educate yourself by going to the ISSS website.
For new students:
- Please, remember if you’re a new student you need to check-in with ISSS. It’s an entirely virtual process. Just follow this link: https://isss.illinois.edu/students/incoming/checkin/index.html. There you’ll be able to fill out and submit the virtual check-in eform and find out what you need to complete in the new international student checklist.
If you have any questions or concerns, please, don’t hesitate to contact ISSS. Our phone number is 217.333.1303 and the e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Analicia Haynes is the storyteller and social media specialist for Illinois International. She can be reached at 217.333.6104 or email@example.com.