Employee compensation is a critical tool for organizations to attract, retain, and motivate its workforce. The course introduces major principles in compensation design and examines the incentives embedded in compensation system. Topics include forms of pay, incentive theory, pay structure, pay-for-performance, and employee benefits. Students are expected to develop skills to design a compensation plan and evaluate compensation practices. 3 undergraduate hours
Prerequisites (Must be complete BEFORE taking this course):
ECON 102 (Microeconomic Principles)
ECON 103 (Macroeconomic Principles)
MATH 220 or MATH 221 (Calculus 1)
ECON 302 (Intermediate Microeconomic Theory)
Faculty Teaching the Course:
This course is taught by the below faculty ~ you may click on their name to view their website with additional information. Please check the Course Explorer or Enterprise/Self-Service to see what section they will be teaching (teaching schedules vary by semester).
Past Course Syllabi:
The following syllabi are from past semesters and should only be used as a guide for the information covered in the course and general structure of the course. The instructors have the right to change the course for upcoming semesters ~ please refer to the syllabus they distribute the first day of class.
View the Course Explorer:
See when the course is offered in upcoming semesters and all the section details:
Course restrictions are managed by the Econ Undergraduate Studies Office. Instructors do NOT have the ability to provide overrides. Please read the detailed information below:
- RESTRICTED TO ECON (LAS) MAJORS ALWAYS.
- DUAL-DEGREE ECON students should contact email@example.com for major overrides.
- Due to increased demand, at this time we have decided to restrict all of our ECON 400-level courses to our majors to ensure they are able to complete their major coursework.
- We do not plan on lifting the restriction on the course, other than to pre-approved majors listed in the course explorer section text.
- Students who have COMPLETED THE CRITERIA AND WILL BE DECLARING ECON may apply for overrides once grades have posted by completing the following form between 5/20/17-6/5/17: http://go.economics.illinois.edu/CourseOverrides (criteria must be met & you must have met with an Econ Academic Advisor).
- EXCHANGE STUDENTS SHOULD CONTACT OUR OFFICE firstname.lastname@example.org to request an override (pending capacity)- PRIORITY WILL BE GIVEN TO ECON/LAS EXCHANGE STUDENTS and others pre-approved.
- OTHER MAJORS: We have included all pre-approved majors in the restrictions. If your major is not listed, please contact your major departmental academic advisor to check on other available options, or have the office contact the Economics Department directly email@example.com. Only departments who have worked out pre-approvals for the courses will be provided registration.
- OVERRIDES WILL NOT BE PROVIDED IF THE COURSE IS FULL. For the best possible chance, students should register during their priority time.