Before You Begin
Transactions between the University and owners of agency funds held by the University must follow the same processes established for transactions between the University and other external parties, unless addressed elsewhere in University policy.
Transfers of expenditures or revenue between agency funds and University funds are not permitted unless the transfer is necessary to correct an erroneous transaction posted to Banner. In no instance, however, may an erroneous agency fund expenditure be transferred to a University fund if the original expenditure failed to comply with the Illinois Procurement Code. Likewise, sales tax must be remitted by the owner of an agency fund for any expenditure corrections posted to the owner's agency fund, unless the owner has a separate sales tax exemption number.
To process a transaction between the University and the owner of an agency fund, identify the nature of the transaction and follow the guidelines below:
- If the agency fund owner wishes to support a University event or project, process the transaction as a gift to the University. The owner’s University liaison:
- Obtains a letter from the owner authorizing the donation
- Verifies that the agency fund balance is sufficient to pay for the donation
- Requests a check payable to the University of Illinois as described in Expend Agency Funds on Behalf of Owner
- Completes a Gift Received Transmittal Form and processes the gift according to Section 11.3, Campus Processing of Gifts.
- If a University unit wishes to support an event or project of the agency fund owner, process the transaction as directed in Section 8, Financial Assistance and Sponsorship Payments to Outside Organizations.
- If the agency fund owner wishes to procure goods or services from the University, consult Expend Agency Funds on Behalf of Owner.
- If the University wishes to procure goods or services from an agency fund owner, established University procurement processes must be followed. Consult Section 7, Purchasing and Section 8, Payments and Reimbursements
- If a University unit and an owner of an agency fund collaborate on an event or project, the University and the agency fund owner:
- Separately contract directly with third parties to expend their own funds in support of the collaboration, and/or
- Process separate transactions to support the other collaborator’s work following University Section 11.3, Campus Processing of Giftsor Section 8, Financial Assistance and Sponsorship Payments to Outside Organizations processes
Forms Used in this Procedure
Gift Received Transmittal Form
To leave feedback, please use the "Add Comment" link below. On the next screen, choose the "Sign in with my NetID" option and log in with your University credentials. Comment moderation is enabled. Your comment will not appear until approved.
You may also submit a comment without posting to the feedback board by contacting email@example.com.