During the COVID-19 pandemic, many international students were unable to embark upon or continue their studies at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. As a result, the Academic Bridge program was developed to provide international students at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign with a residential experience in their home country and access to educational facilities and services.
- Provide a cohort and campus environment for students
- Strengthen international students’ affinity toward the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The University strategically located partners abroad in China, Singapore, and Taiwan to host international Illinois students at their campuses. Host institutions provided academic amenities, accommodations, student support services, and meals to students.
Illinois International Collaboration
At Global Education and Training, we are especially proud to highlight the efforts undertaken by our colleagues in the Shanghai Office (SO) and Illinois Abroad and Global Exchange (IAGE).
- Met with IAGE to identify possible university partners in China
- Provided international context for Chinese universities (e.g., campus size, reputation, regional location)
- Connected IAGE staff members with former GET program participant, Professor Jing at Beijing JiaoTong University (BJTU) - Weihai campus
- Initiated call with BJTU Weihai’s campus dean and provided introduction to IAGE
- Planned the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign orientation at BJTU Weihai with IAGE
- Hosted University orientation at BJTU Weihai
328 international students from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign participated in the Academic Bridge program during Fall 2020.