What is Webtools?
Webtools is a continually developing suite of online tools designed to help University of Illinois faculty and staff accomplish their web and communication responsibilities quickly and easily. Webtools allows university professionals to focus on the information they are gathering or sharing and not on the technology needed to accomplish the task. Webtools is currently comprised of Blogs, Calendars, Email+, Eweek, File Manager, Forms, Group Manager, Massmail, Short URL, Skin Designer, Surveys, and Transfer Privileges, with several more web tools in development.
Terms of Service (TOS)
The TOS must be read and agreed to before access to Webtools is granted. The first time a user logs in to Webtools the TOS acceptance prompt will be displayed.
All data and files are stored at Amazon Web Services. All files are backed three times a day via Amazon's S3 storage. All database data is backed up continuously via Amazon's RDS processes. We keep database backups for ten business days.
All data is kept until a user deletes it except for the following:
- Email groups in the Group Manager are automatically deleted if they have not been used in 18 months.
- Email sent data is deleted after 18 months. No reports can be run after this time.
- Emails sent to users will maintain their links as long as Sparkpost, the campus email vendor, agrees to provide them. Links in the past that were managed by Web Services will only be supported for up to 18 months after the email was sent.
- Emails, newsletters, and reports are deleted after five years.
- Calendar events are deleted five years after the event has occurred.
All servers reside at Amazon Web Services. They have been reviewed by Technology Services.
All faculty, staff, and students at the university have access to Webtools using their Shibboleth login. Students may not create new short URLs or surveys in Webtools, or distribute emails.
If you experience problems with Webtools, contact us Monday through Friday, 9:00-5:00, by calling 217-265-9073 or by filling out the contact form.
Legitimate Webtools uses
The applications within Webtools may only be used for purposes related to the University of Illinois. Any usage unrelated to the University will result in the forfeiture of Webtools privileges for that specific user. The Office of Web Services retains the right to determine/identify inappropriate use of the tools. If you have any questions, please contact us.