There are three main steps to sending a Massmail message: Submission, Approval, and Distribution. You create and submit a Massmail message. A designated approver reviews your submission. If your message is approved, distribution occurs at 6:00 am, a pre-scheduled time, or immediately (in special situations).
Step 1: Submission
Log in to Webtools and click Massmail from the menu. The My Massmails tab lists the messages you have created. You can view, edit, copy, and delete your submissions, as well as organize them into folders.
To create a new Massmail message for submission, click New and navigate through each tab:
- The General tab is where you enter or select basic information about your message: the subject, the sender's information, the recipient groups, what to do with replies, etc.
- The Appearance tab is where you select the Massmail skin.
- The Message tab is where you compose your message. It is strongly recommended that you first compose the message on a word processor with spell-check and grammar-check, then proofread closely.
- The Submit tab allows you to complete multiple functions:
- Send test emails to yourself to check your message. This is a critical step in the process; do not skip it. Don't hesitate to test your message several times, sending it to additional testers for review.
- Choose the appropriate office for message approval. The list of individual approvers displays when an office is selected.
- Schedule your message. You can add it to the 6:00 am queue after it's approved or schedule it for a future distribution.
- Click Submit for Approval once you are confident that everything is correct and complete. You'll receive a confirmation email that your submission has been received.
Step 2: Approval
After your Massmail is submitted, an automated email message is sent to the approvers in the selected administrative office, notifying them that there is a submission waiting for review. The approvers review the message, accept or reject the request, and optionally provide comments. If you haven't received notice after three business days you may want to contact the chosen administrative office for advice.
If your Massmail message is rejected, you will receive an email notification containing any comments or concerns the approvers have.
Step 3: Distribution
If your Massmail message is approved, a notification will be emailed to the sender and the sending process will begin (scheduling, queuing, or sending). Once a Massmail has been confirmed by an administrator, the distribution will take place at approximately 1:00 am the next morning. Administrators also have the ability to send a Massmail message immediately.
Stopping a Distribution can only be done before the email begins to send. To stop a distribution, click Withdraw from Approval on the Submit tab.