Dear campus community member:
We would like to inform you of a crime that has recently occurred in the campus area so you have the information you need to take the appropriate precautions. This Campus Safety Notice is issued in accordance with a federal law requiring universities to disclose information about crime on or immediately adjacent to their campuses to aid in the prevention of similar crimes and to assist in the identification of offenders.
This message alone is not necessarily an indication that crime rates on campus have increased or that a pattern of crime has emerged. For a more comprehensive look at crime in your area, you can view the daily crime log.
While these recent incidents are concerning, we have no reason to believe they present a threat to anyone’s physical safety. Under federal reporting mandates, we are required to notify you of the following motor vehicle thefts that occurred near campus:
- Sept. 29: A vehicle was stolen after it was left running and unattended in the 600 block of East Green Street, Champaign.
- Oct. 4: A vehicle was stolen from a sorority house in the 900 block of South Lincoln Avenue, Urbana.
- Oct. 4: A vehicle was stolen while it was parked on the street near Euclid Street and East Gregory Drive, Champaign.
The University of Illinois Police Department, in cooperation with the Champaign Police Department and the Urbana Police Department, has a full complement of officers patrolling the campus area. Between these agencies, our campus is one of the most highly-patrolled areas in the region. More than 2,100 security cameras are posted around campus to deter crime and identify offenders.
Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the University of Illinois Police Department at 217-333-1216. Witnesses may remain anonymous by calling Champaign County Crime Stoppers at 217-373-8477 (373-TIPS), by visiting www.373tips.com or by providing information through the P3 Tips mobile app available on iOS and Android. All messages to Crime Stoppers are electronically stripped of identifying information and forwarded to police by an independent third party.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign campus is a very safe one, but a community of our size will never be crime-free. U. of I. Police work hard to prevent crime and to quickly identify and arrest offenders when crime occurs, but you play the most important role in keeping our campus community safe.
- Lock your doors, even if you only plan to be gone for a short amount of time. Thieves have been known to walk down a row of parked vehicles and check vehicle doors to see if they are unlocked.
- Never leave keys with the vehicle. Do not leave a spare key in or under your car.
- Put packages or valuables out of sight. Lock them in the trunk and always remove them once home.
- Park in a public place with plenty of light.
- Keep your license and registration in your wallet or purse. If stolen with your car, thieves can use them to impersonate you and sell your car.
- Be alert and trust your instincts. If it does not feel right, it probably is not.
Please take a moment to review these resources we have made available to keep you informed, and consider liking UIPD on Facebook, following us on Twitter or subscribing to our news feed to receive regular updates.