Having a bike on campus can seem quite intimidating. You know, riding to class while clusters of people don’t pay attention where they are walking? BUT! I am here to say, there are many benefits to riding a bike on campus, despite the fear of hitting a fellow student with your bike.
Whether it be your own bike, a friend’s bike, or a bike sharing service, here is why you should start biking on campus:
1. If you ride a bike on campus, and get your friends to too, you are helping to save the environment. Riding a bike is eco-friendly. No fuel. No emissions. No troubles! Plus, you can choose to be trendy and “thrift” your bike second hand (well-made bikes can last decades), and you’ll be recycling too!
2. You will save money by riding a bike on campus instead of using a car. It is often free to park a bike on campus. Just be sure to lock up your bike safely and securely. (If you don’t have a bike on campus, there are borrowing services on campus that are cheap, easy to use, and extremely convenient, such as VeoRide
3. Being in college, it can be difficult to stay healthy and find time to work out for those who enjoy doing so. Biking is one of the best cardio and strength exercises out there! Turn up the gear, time yourself doing sprints, or just get in some extra fresh air. A few miles every week can do wonders for your body and mind. Biking to class on various days can change up your morning routine, and attribute to a morning ‘pick-me up’!
4. When your legs just can’t move fast enough when you wake up late for class, just hop on a bike and you will arrive to class much quicker.
5. Baskets, bells, carriers, stripes, stickers…. bikes can express your personal style with just a few inexpensive modifications. Another bonus is that a stand-apart bike is easy to spot in a sea of bikes when you’re ready to ride again.
6. Riding a bike can be used for more than getting to and from class, Bikes can take you on adventures! Hop on a bike with your roommates and friends and discover UIUC’s campus. Or, go beyond campus and the enjoy hidden beauties of Champaign- Urbana. There are many parks right of campus with beautiful scenery that are meant for bikers to come and ride. To name a few, Kickapoo Trail, Crystal Lake Park, and Busey Woods are not too far off campus and can surely create a memorable adventure. This sounds like meditation on wheels to me.
So, grab a bike, take a ride, and make every day an adventure here in Champaign-Urbana!
By: Erin Nadel
Undergraduate in the College of Media