Basic Life Support (BLS) is available in two different training methods – blended learning and classroom training. All BLS course options teach the same AHA science-based skills and result in the same AHA BLS Course Completion Card.
'Blended Learning HeartCode® BLS'
- Blended Learning (online portion, followed by hands-on skills session) HeartCode BLS uses a variety of eLearning assets such as dramatizations, eSimulations, animations, self-directed learning, and interactive activities to teach students BLS knowledge and skills.
- HeartCode BLS is the AHA’s BLS blended learning delivery method. Blended learning is a combination of eLearning, in which a student completes part of the course in a self-directed manner, followed by a hands-on skills session.
- Complete the online portion + hands-on skills session with an AHA Instructor, or with a voice-assisted manikin (VAM) or Simulation Station.
- The online portion of HeartCode BLS can be completed in approximately 1 to 2 hours.
- Time to complete the hands-on skills session varies from 60 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the experience of the student.
- Instructor-led, hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency
- The BLS Instructor-led course teaches both single-rescuer and team basic life support skills for application in both prehospital and in-facility environments, with a focus on High-Quality CPR and team dynamics.
- Full BLS Provider Course takes approximately 4.5 hours to complete, including skills practice and skills testing
- BLS Renewal Course takes approximately 3 hours to complete, including skills practice and testing
- *Course time based on 1 instructor: 6 students: 2 manikins
For more information on 'Blended Learning HeartCode® BLS' and Classroom BLS: https://cpr.heart.org/en/courses/basic-life-support-course-options.
Click below to download a list of AHA BLS classes offered at Illinois Fire Departments and other locations near our 6 campuses*. Please note that the availability of these classes* might be limited. For more classe options, search for 'BLS' cps classes (e.g., 'BLS Provider', 'BLS Provider Skills Session' and 'BLS Renewal' via American Heart Association website.