Sunsetting ArcMap: What to Expect in the Education Programs
Learn how to migrate from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro
As you have likely heard, ArcMap is being retired in March 2026.
ArcGIS has evolved into a modern suite of apps - ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Field Maps, ArcGIS Story Maps, ArcGIS Dashboards, ArcGIS Pro, and many others. We've recommended in recent years to educate and train students with the entire ArcGIS system, starting with SaaS technology where applicable, rather than ArcMap only.
We know many of you have transitioned your teaching and research to Modern GIS workflow. If you haven't yet, it is urgent that you and your colleagues do so now.
There are many resources to help guide you through this journey, between Learn ArcGIS lessons, Esri Academy Courses, Esri Press books, among others. In addition, we are hosting several workshops and discussions to share best practices and address your questions.
What does this mean for Education program offerings?
Changes anticipated for June 2022:
* ArcMap will no longer be available in ArcGIS for Student Use
* ArcMap will no longer be delivered by default in Department licenses. ArcMap will be available on request to existing customers (not to new customers)
* The quantity of ArcMap licenses delivered in the Education Institution Agreement will be reduced
Changes anticipated for January 2023:
* ArcMap will no longer be delivered by default in Education Institution Agreement and the Research Institute Agreement
* ArcMap will be available on request to existing customers (not to new customers)
Please feel free to continue discussion in this Esri Community blog.