Every year you have extra turkey left over - there are only so many sandwiches you can make and I
love soups and chilis...
- 2-2.5 lbs of leftover turkey (both white and dark meat)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (diced)
- 1-2 tsp Cumin
- 1-2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 (15 oz) can of cannellini or great northern beans
- 1 (15 oz) can of pinto beans
- 1 (15 oz) can of refried beans fresh cilantro (cut and diced small)
- 1 can of ro-tel (the diced tomato and chili kind)
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- Red pepper flakes
- Corn starch (to thicken if it is too watery)
Edit embedded media in the Files Tab and re-insert as needed.
This is a crock-pot meal so it makes it easy to cook and "set it and forget it"!
- Take the turkey (skin off), chicken broth, and the garlic, place in the pot, set on low.
- Let this cook until the turkey meat falls apart and breaks up.
- Place the seasonings (cumin/curry/salt/pepper) and the refried beans in the pot.
- Let this cook until the beans break up - you want this to look like a soup with a little thickness.
- Place the beans and ro-tel in the pot.
- Let this cook until the seasonings blend in, you should be smelling all that chili goodness soon.
- Place a few red pepper flakes in the chili if you want some spice. The key for this is to make it look a little yellow/brown mixture, remember since this is not a regular chili it is not supposed to be red.
- If the chili is not thick enough or you want it to be thicker, place a teaspoon of corn starch in a small cup (like 6 oz or so) and fill it with cold water.
- Stir the mixture and then let sit until it thickens.
- Serve over oyster crackers, with some shredded cheese, or just eat it in a bowl........ GOOD STUFF!!