This recipe was given to me by my Lola (Grandma) and was a dessert our entire family looked forward to at all gatherings. She is 91 now and does not cook that often. However, since I've started making it for the family, having her approval and loving my take on this, means so much to me!
- 3/4c white sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1tbsp vanilla
- 1 14oz can condensed milk
- 1 14oz can of milk
- Loaf pan (disposable ones work great too)
- Deep baking dish
Edit embedded media in the Files Tab and re-insert as needed.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Over medium heat, melt sugar in a pan. Constantly stir and be sure not to burn it!
- Once the sugar has dissolved, pour into loaf pan and set aside
- Mix eggs, egg yolk, vanilla, condensed milk (no need to scrape clean), and milk
- Strain mixture into pan (an important step to use strainer!)
- In a deep baking dish, fill with enough water so when the loaf pan is added, it’s about halfway up the pan (as my Lola says: “Cómo hacer baño María”)
- Place in oven (doing this first ensures you will not get any water in the loaf pan)
- Add loaf pan and center it in the deep dish
- Add more water if needed
- Bake for 1 hr
- Test with a toothpick- should be dry.
- Add more time if still wet