This recipe was fun to play around with and create. Most candied cranberry recipes result in a crunchy berry, but these pop in your mouth.
- 1 bag of fresh cranberries
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- Rinse and drain cranberries, and remove any stems or over-ripe berries.
- Make a simple syrup by mixing 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar in a saucepan and cooking over medium heat until
thickened and sugar is dissolved. (Do not boil. If the syrup does boil, let cool for several minutes
before adding to berries to prevent the berries from popping.)
- Lower the heat and then add the berries and continue to cook on low heat till berries are bright red, before popping. About 20-30
minutes. It's important to not let the berries pop!
- Drain cranberries and spread them on a cooling rack, over a baking sheet to collect dripping syrup. Let berries dry for 20 minutes.
- Roll berries in remaining sugar. These Can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.
***The syrup can be saved for cocktails, too!