The State of Illinois Department of Central Management Services (CMS) allows employees ten (10) calendar days after the end of the Benefit Choice period to submit relationship and opt-out documentation. The same deadline applies to submission of the Minnesota Life Statement of Health for employees adding spouse, child or employee optional life during Benefit Choice. The deadline is Thursday, June 12, 2014. If documentation is not received by 11:59 p.m. on that date, the corresponding Benefit Choice election will be invalidated. Most dependent and plan changes can only be made during the Benefit Choice period or within 60 days of a qualifying event that is consistent with the coverage change request.
Examples of required documentation are:
- Adding a spouse: State marriage license/religious marriage certificate or previous year’s joint tax return
- Adding a civil union partner: Civil Union Partnership Certificate
- Adding a natural child or step-child: Hospital birth record or state birth certificate
- Opt-out of coverage: Proof of other comprehensive health insurance showing the effective date of coverage and insured dependents (including the employee)
View a complete list of documentation requirements on NESSIE. Documentation should be faxed to University Payroll and Benefits (UPB) at 217-244-3135.
Please contact the UPB offices for additional information about Benefit Choice (or Qualifying Event) documentation requirements. Walk-in hours are 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and call center hours are 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Email – email@example.com
- Urbana Campus
506 S. Wright, 177 HAB, Urbana, IL 61801
- Chicago Campus
809 S. Marshfield Ave, 1st Floor, Chicago, IL 60612
- Springfield Campus
One University Plaza, HRB 18, Springfield, IL 62703
- Documentation Fax Number – 217-244-3135