APPLY EARLY AS THIS JOB MAY BE FILLED AT ANY TIME.
Who are we:
We are one of the largest U.S. railroads transporting the nation's freight across 28 western states and 3 Canadian provinces. As a member of our team, you will play a role in supporting the movement of essential products and materials that help feed, clothe, supply, and power communities throughout America and the world. Come make a difference with us!
What makes us different:
At BNSF, we do not just talk about culture; we live it. As a team member here, you would immediately experience how our culture is woven into what we do. Our goal is for everyone to achieve their highest potential by focusing on safety, continuous improvement, plus personal and professional growth. As an employee at BNSF, we have multiple programs to ensure that you will be recognized and appreciated for all your impactful work.
We also have plenty of developmental opportunities to further your career! Many of our team members that joined BNSF have experienced multiple career paths that were completely unplanned to them. We make development a priority at BNSF.
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture. We have been recognized by multiple organizations such as Forbes (Best Employer for Women and New College Grads), Military Times (Best for Vets), and the Human Rights Campaign (Best Place to Work) for our outstanding culture!
The paid Summer Internship Program is an opportunity to experience what it’s like to be a full-time BNSF employee. As an intern at BNSF, you’ll be given real-life, impactful assignments that will put your skills and education into practice. Your summer project will combine classroom experience and real-life business situations to provide value-added work to BNSF.
The program is designed to identify students BNSF hires as full-time Management Trainees after graduation. During your summer internship, you will get the chance to network with peers, our Business Resource Groups, and Senior Leaders throughout the BNSF network.
- Kick off the summer along with a group of interns for orientation in Fort Worth, Texas. Attend networking events and informal chats with subject-matter experts, partner with a mentor, and get first-hand experience working in preparation for a full-time management trainee position!
- Potential for an offer of a full-time position after the internship
- Explore a potential career path at BNSF with incredible opportunities for growth and the possibility of traveling our network
- Relocation and separate monthly housing stipend (starting at $800 a month!)
- Relocation assistance may be provided to interns moving more than 50 driving miles from their current residence.
- Competitive vision, dental, and medical care
- Access comprehensive discounts on everyday items such as travel, fitness classes (partnership with Peloton), car dealerships, and mortgages!
- Get connected! Join any of our company-sponsored business resource groups. There are plenty of networking opportunities within BNSF!
- Employee assistance programs to aid in work/life situations such as mental health, legal/financial questions, relationship support, child/elder care, and more!
- Potential for an offer of a full-time position
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing, and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail daily.
Work Location: Topeka, KS
Anticipated Start Date: June 2023
Number of Positions: 1
Salary Range: $4,000 per month
Applicants will be notified via e-mail regarding potential interviews, testing and hiring events for this position. Please check your e-mail on a daily basis.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
An intern’s job duties will mainly include supporting ongoing projects while job shadowing department team members with a focus on developing and furthering BNSF’s initiatives.
Examples include, but are not limited to:
Develop working knowledge of failure analysis, material testing, and derailment investigation
Prepare technical reports and communicate technical information in a clear, concise, and understandable manner
Understand how the Technical Research and Development department supports other departments
Participate in and set up lab and field tests
Conduct field investigations and fact-finding research
Additionally, qualified candidates must be able to:
Demonstrate leadership skills
Be safety focused with the ability to communicate safety concerns
Work effectively in a team environment
Express ideas and information in a clear and concise manner
Recognize and respond effectively to unexpected situations and tight deadlines
The department’s Physical Test and Chemistry laboratories are located in Topeka, KS. Working conditions include:
* Some travel may be required
HOURS OF WORK:
Hours are fairly regular (Monday – Friday, 7:30 am – 4:30 pm) with a minimum of 40 hours per week
* Subject to on-call for emergencies
Must have a firm commitment to BNSF Safety Culture, willingness to work in a diverse and challenging environment, and a commitment to laboratory housekeeping and good industrial hygiene practices.
Have less than four (4) years of work experience in a professional work environment. When calculating work experience, please EXCLUDE internships or positions held while in high school or college.
Strong technical and analytical skills
Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s degree or Graduate degree program in Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, or Materials Science.
Cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher with a degree in Engineering or Construction Management OR a 2.75 or higher cumulative GPA with a non-Engineering degree.
Ability to relocate to Topeka, KS, for the summer
Valid Driver’s License
Experience with field and laboratory testing
Proven leadership experience and excellent oral and written communication skills
Proficient in MS Office Applications (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)