The University of Wisconsin-Madison College of Engineering in cooperation with the Graduate School, NSF's Materials Research Science and Engineering Center, and the 3M Foundation hosts a summer research experience for undergraduate students from May 31 through August 5, 2022. Participants will spend ten weeks conducting laboratory research in an area of engineering or the physical sciences. Students are exposed to other research available on campus through weekly meetings and faculty seminars, and participate in social activities with current graduate students. At the conclusion of the program, students submit their research paper and present their research in an interdisciplinary poster session.
Students may request projects in the following College of Engineering departments and programs. Applicants are also encouraged to browse the list of engineering centers to see additional project possibilities.
The program provides students with opportunities that build on their interest in science and engineering careers. Participants conduct a research project under the direction of faculty mentors and work as members of laboratory research teams investigating problems in engineering and the physical sciences in an academic environment.
All participants receive a financial support package worth approximately $7,500. This package consists of a $6,000 stipend for the tenweek period, travel expenses to and from the program, housing, and a meal allowance.
- Undergraduate students majoring in mathematics, chemistry, physics, engineering, biotechnology related engineering areas, and other physical sciences with an interest in attending graduate school.
- Students who have completed their junior year.
- Students with an overall GPA of 3.4 or higher on a 4.0 scale. Because SURE/REU is a graduate recruitment program, specific GPA requirements for graduate applications in individual departments will be applied.
- Students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents enrolled in an accredited college or university
Please note that the APPLICANT is responsible for submitting a complete application consisting of the following:
- The application form, available online at https://gers.engr.wisc.edu/sure.php
- A statement of research interest. Be sure to include information on previous laboratory research experience, postgraduation (undergraduate) plans, any experiences you have had that have prepared you for this experience, along with your reasons for applying to the program.
- "Unofficial" college transcripts.
- One letter of recommendation from a professor in your major area or a former research advisor/supervisor.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Placements will begin November 1, 2021, with an absolute program deadline for receipt of materials of February 15, 2022. Apply early to increase the likelihood of placement in the laboratory of your choice. Complete the online application(https://gers.engr.wisc.edu/sure.php). References, letters and transcripts can be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.