Illinois Undergraduate Research Ambassadors (IURA) are a collaborative cohort of accomplished and experienced students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Ambassadors will promote undergraduate research on campus and help the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) develop and maintain student-focused programs that represent the U of I's diverse array of disciplines. If you would like the opportunity to join this prestigious and dynamic team, the deadline to apply is March 16, 2020 at 11:59pm.
What do ambassadors do?
Illinois Undergraduate Research Ambassadors (IURAs):
- Represent and promote the mission of OUR to current and prospective students. This includes on-campus recruiting & outreach events, classroom presentations, and other informational events at the discretion of OUR staff.
- Hold one-on-one meetings to mentor students through the undergraduate research experience at the University of Illinois. This includes helping students get started, locate opportunities, and develop individualized research plans.
- Serve on one of three specialized committees (workshops, outreach & promotion, program development - more information below)
- Serve as a student advisory board and provide critical feedback about OUR programs and initiatives.
- Publicize undergraduate research via social media.
- Support OUR with the planning and coordination of the Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Ambassadors earn a $200 stipend per semester for their service.
Ambassadors must be active participants in all assigned responsibilities, including occasional mandatory weekend and evening events, for the full academic terms of Fall 2020 and Spring 2021.
- Participate in Research - All disciplines are invited to apply. Qualified applicants must have conducted two semesters (or 1 full summer) of research or creative activity.
- Have an Interest in Promoting Research - IURAs are a collaborative cohort of accomplished and experienced students at the University of Illinois. Qualified applicants will promote undergraduate research on the UIUC campus and help the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) develop and maintain student-focused programs that represent our diverse population of students.
- Commitment - Qualified applicants should be prepared to fully commit to meeting the expectations of the IURA program. This includes attendance at bi-weekly meetings (Tuesdays from 5 - 7pm), peer mentor meetings, scheduled events, and at the Undergraduate Research Symposium.
- Commitment to Inclusivity - Qualified applicants must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be committed to providing an encouraging, supportive environment for culturally diverse students.
At the beginning of their tenure, ambassadors will sign-up for one of three committees, which are summarized below:
1. Outreach & Promotion: Organizing and presenting outreach presentations to courses, departments, or student-run organizations. The outreach team will also provide support at other events such as Illini Days and Orange & Blue Days.
2. Workshops & Training: Schedule, organizing, and delivering OUR's main workshops. This committee will also collaborate with OUR staff to develop and deploy one new workshop.
3. New Program Development: This committee's main responsibility is to develop and implement one new sustainable program for the office. This committee will also compile a comprehensive comparative report that compares OUR to similar offices at peer institutions.
Still have questions? Attend an informational session and hear from OUR staff & current ambassadors!
- Feb 25, 2020 12 –1pm, 217 Noyes
- March 9, 2020 12 –1pm, 217 Noyes
Link to application: https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/2119772
The deadline to apply is March 16, 2020 at 11:59pm.