The Maleiha Carino Foundation Scholarship for Cancer Research Advancement recognizes outstanding contributions made by undergraduate researchers at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in the field of cancer research. This encompasses various aspects of cancer research, including basic, translational, clinical, and social/cultural dimensions.
In addition to a financial award of $500, recipients will also gain access to a network of researchers, clinicians, and professionals affiliated with the Maleiha Carino Foundation. Through this unique connection, recipients will receive valuable career guidance and academic support, fostering their growth as aspiring researchers and furthering their exploration of future endeavors.
This scholarship honors the legacy of Maleiha Carino, a Filipino-American who tragically passed away from pediatric cancer in 2014 and is generously supported by the Maleiha Carino Foundation. We hope this financial support and recognition will provide the selected students an opportunity to advance their research endeavors and support their academic success.
To learn more about Maleiha, the scholarship, and how to put together a successful application, we encourage you to attend our upcoming informational meeting on November 2 at 6:00 PM (held virtually through Zoom). Please register at: https://illinois.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIvdOCsqjouE9YGtGPHQt2iH8qCnobHfB1i
- Open to all undergraduate students in good academic standing at the University of Illinois who have a demonstrated passion for cancer research.
- Students from diverse academic backgrounds, including but not limited to, biology, chemistry, bioinformatics, psychology, sociology, and healthcare-related fields, are encouraged to apply.
- Ongoing or completed research in some area of cancer research (including basic, translational, clinical, and social/cultural dimensions)
How to apply:
Students have the option to nominate themselves or be nominated by a member of the Illinois staff.
For student self-nominators, please provide:
1. Personal statement (1,000 words) that:
- Provides a summary of your research achievements thus far (including a description of your involvement in cancer-related research)
- Describes your dedication to making a positive impact in the field of cancer research
- Describes your future academic and professional goals
2. Letter of recommendation from an advisor/mentor who has either worked with you or is very familiar with your research. Letters should be emailed to the Office of Undergraduate Research: email@example.com. We request letter writers to include "Maleiha Carino Scholarship" in the subject line.
Students can self-nominate here: https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/2074033030
For Illinois faculty, staff, and graduate student nominators, please provide:
1. A letter of nomination that describes the student’s:
- Research achievements thus far (including a description of their involvement in cancer-related research)
- Dedication to making a positive impact in the field of cancer research
- Future academic and professional goals
Faculty, staff, and graduate students can nominate students here: https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/193943756
The deadline for all application materials, including letters of recommendation, is December 1, 2023, at 11:59 pm.