Illinois Extension is the university’s statewide network of educators, faculty experts and staff dedicated to serving Illinois residents. No matter where you are in the State of Illinois, you’ll find Extension—they have a presence in every county.
Find an Extension office near you.
Extension makes a significant impact in every county in Illinois.
By the numbers:
- More than 5 million Illinois residents participate in Extension programs each year.
- Nearly 200,000 Illinois residents participate in 4-H youth programs each year.
Extension has been offering educational programs throughout the state and beyond for more than 100 years. With robust educational opportunities to state residents of all ages, Extension offers hands-on workshops, field days, summer camps, online self-paced tutorials and more.
Explore some of the core program areas.
Helping the community: Illinois Extension programs help individuals and organizations access the tools, training and planning they need to strengthen and improve their businesses and communities.
Supporting natural resources and the environment: Illinois Extension supports the economic viability and environmental sustainability of natural and managed landscapes and productive lands in Illinois.
Promoting family and consumer sciences: Illinois Extension works closely with families and community partners to address issues and challenges in the areas of food, family and finance.
Maximizing health: Illinois Extension programming identifies disparities and maximizes physical and emotional health for all.
Providing research and innovation: Extension’s agricultural centers provide direct service to crop producers, landowners, crop consultants, advisors, the agricultural industry, the green industry and commercial growers.
Developing youth leadership through 4-H: 4-H provides opportunities for youth to meet new friends, explore careers, serve communities and pursue innovative projects.
From working with kids on 4-H projects to helping gardeners identify pesky weeds, volunteers play an essential role within Extension. Explore opportunities to make a difference in your local community.
- Master Gardeners: Become a gardening expert and community resource with Extension’s premier service and certification program.
- Master Naturalists: Receive advanced training about natural resources to help steward Illinois natural areas.
- 4-H Youth Development: Make a difference for youth in your community as a 4-H volunteer.
- Money Mentors: Work one-on-one with individuals who request help with personal finances.
Extension is based in the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES) and works with all colleges and units of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Learn more about Illinois Extension.