Four teams of Illinois faculty, staff, and undergraduate researchers were selected to take part in a new program to build national awareness of the benefits of undergraduate research as a high-impact educational practice.
The Scholars Transforming Through Research Program (STR), organized by the Council on Undergraduate Research, is a competitive application-based professional development opportunity where selected teams will be trained to advocate for the importance of undergraduate research experiences to a diverse array of national-level stakeholders, including funding agencies and elected officials.
Additionally, teams will share their new skills and experiences with on-campus departments and organizations through educational workshops, resources, and training.
“This important opportunity will not only increase Illinois’ undergraduate research profile at the national level, it will also help us build out important models of best practice in undergraduate research at Illinois,” notes Dr. Karen Rodriguez'G, Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research.
The four Illinois teams below are being funded and supported by the Office of Undergraduate Research and Office of the Provost.
- Stefan Djordjevic, Assistant Director for Undergraduate Studies in the Department of History
- Connor Barnes, Senior, History
- Holly Golecki, Teaching Assistant Professor in the Department of Bioengineering
- Katelynn Ohk, Sophomore, Mechanical Engineering
- Jaylynn Kim, Sophomore, Mechanical Engineering
- Sara Pedron Haba, Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Achal Anand, Sophomore, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Cristian Proistosescu, Assistant Professor in the Department of Atmospheric Sciences and Department of Geology
- Jaydeep Pillai, Senior, Engineering Physics
- Abigail McDonnell, Sophomore, Atmospheric Sciences
Renowned as one of the top public research universities in the U.S., the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign's research enterprise drives student experiences and community engagement while powering innovation and positive change locally, nationally, and globally. STR will offer exciting insight into the ever-changing research landscape, helping Illinois continue its legacy as one of the nation's top research institutions.