"Mailing list addresses" are sometimes used in Email+ rather than groups from the Group Manager. Technically these are Active Directory “distribution lists”. An example of a distribution list might be xyzfull-L@illinois.edu . Sending to this email address would result in everyone in the department XYZ receiving an email.
Web Services recently started using a campus vendor called Sparkpost for the physical delivery of each email in Email+. Some email distribution lists have been set up in ways that do not allow it to work with Email+. If you use the distribution list in an Email+ mailing and those people are not receiving the email then follow the steps below.
Create a group in the Group Manager that will auto populate with the members from the distribution list:
- Have your IT support staff give access to your distribution list to the service account ows-group-manager.
- Make sure all groups contained within the distribution list also have access from the same service account.
- Create a group in the Group Manager. The type of group is an “Active Directory Email Distribution”.
- Point the group to your distribution list.
- On the Privileges tab make sure you give access to all of the people that will use the group in Email+.
- Double check on the Manage tab in the Group Manager that you can see the people in your list. This may take a few minutes to populate. If you find there are people missing go back to step #2.
Once the group is populated it is ready to use. A benefit of setting up the group like this is that reports will include specific open, click, etc., data that was not possible using a distribution list.