Position detail website
The Water Quality Monitoring and Assessment Section of the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is seeking up to five seasonal Natural Resource Aides for the purpose of water quality field sampling. Aides will earn an hourly rate of $13.00. Aides will have the opportunity to work directly with the DNR Water Quality Monitoring and Assessment Section stream, lake, shallow lake, UAA, wetland, and beach monitoring programs.
- Field work preparation, including calibration and maintenance of field equipment
- Travel to monitoring sites across Iowa
- Identify, measure, collect, and record various types of biological, chemical, and physical data
- Coordinate daily delivery of water samples to contract laboratories
- Digitize collected field data
- Complete additional tasks as assigned
- Have a valid driver’s license, with appointment contingent upon a successful screening of their driving record.
- Develop a working knowledge of the DNR Water Quality Monitoring and Assessment Section programs, policies, and procedures.
- Possess a basic understanding of water quality and monitoring practices and be willing to work long hours in the field under all types of weather conditions.
- Be able to use, or learn to use, all equipment related to field sampling work including: 4WD trucks, trailers, ATVs, powerboats, canoes, multi-parameter sampling probes, fishnets, and any other related hand tools.
- Be able to interpret maps and navigate in a rural landscape.
- Be able to work outdoors and withstand physically demanding work, including traversing rough terrain and marshy areas. Activities include stooping, bending, and lifting up to 30 pounds.
Applicants will be expected to collect and field analyze water and biological samples across the state for much of the week, with the potential to work on other tasks within the Section as time and budget permit. Monitoring will call for extensive travel throughout the state and will require some overnight stays. Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed per State of Iowa travel rules. Successful candidates will be based out of the Wallace State Office Building in Des Moines, Iowa. Preference will be given to applicants that can start by May 10, 2021 and who can work beyond August.
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, February 19th, 2021
Those seeking full-time seasonal work (30-40 hours per week) are encouraged to apply. Please send a cover letter and resume including names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses of three references and available start and end dates electronically or by mail to:
502 E 9th St
Des Moines, IA 50319
The Iowa Department of Natural Resources is an EOE/AA employer.