Position Description and Application Information
Agency: Department of Agriculture
Closing Date/Time: 05/19/2022
Salary: $3,443-$4,742/anticipated monthly starting salary
The Bureau of Environmental Programs is seeking an employee to fulfill the role of Laboratory Associate I. This individual will support the chemists by preparing samples and solutions with a high degree of accuracy and precision. The Bureau is seeking a detailed-oriented individual with elementary knowledge of laboratory sciences and techniques.
- Thoroughly cleans and prepares glassware and other equipment for chemists use in the analysis of pesticides and their residues. Ensures a clean environment of the laboratory and work areas.
- Prepares plant, soil and fabric samples for sub-microgram analysis of pesticide residues. This involves sieving, grinding, chopping and other processing to create completely homogenized samples which are ready for the chemist’s extraction.
- Receives and logs various sample matrices for residue analysis, pesticide products for label guarantee analysis and groundwater samples for the groundwater monitoring program. Maintains storage and logs of these samples.
- Disposes samples, standards and solutions used for chemical analysis of pesticides and maintains documentation of the disposal. Much of this is considered hazardous waste. Prepares waste and transports to containment area on fairgrounds.
- Maintains storage and up-to-date logs of neat standards. Maintains up-to-date logs of all storage refrigerators and freezers within the pesticide laboratory.
- Maintains a record of laboratory supply stock. Checks-in and documents the receipts of all supply orders.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned that are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above.
1. Requires education and experience equivalent to an Associate's Degree with courses in the laboratory sciences.
Qualifying state employees in the Upward Mobility Program shall have the stated requirements of this classification waived by successful completion of specific proficiency tests and training programs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Requires elementary knowledge of the principles and practices of chemistry, biology, physics and related sciences.
- Requires elementary knowledge of laboratory procedures and techniques.
- Requires ability to use laboratory equipment safely in performing routine and standard laboratory tests.
Conditions of Employment
1. Requires the ability to successfully pass a background check.
Work Hours: 8:00am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday
Work Location: 801 E Sangamon Ave Springfield, IL 62702-1813