There are different job descriptions under the broader title of "Life Science Career Trainee (Upward Mobility)." Search for all such positions at https://illinois.jobs2web.com/.
Location: Springfield, IL, US, 62702-4059
Agency : Environmental Protection Agency
Closing Date/Time: 01/10/2023
Salary: $3,856.00 - $5,404.00 CBA Language Applies
Job Type: Salaried Full Time
Number of Vacancies: 4
The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Bureau of Land (BOL), Leaking Underground Storage Tank Section, Unit B is seeking to hire Life Science Career Trainee (Option E). The ideal candidate will participate in the agency sponsored training program for a six to twelve months duration. This trainee position receives working assignments designed to develop knowledge, understanding and practical skills consonant with various professional life sciences career disciplines within the Leaking Underground Storage Tank Section, Unit B. As a LSCT, you will receive controlled assignments in a broad range of departmental activities with increasing difficulty and responsibility.
The benefits of working at the EPA include a 37 ½ hour work week, a generous salary and benefits package (paid time off for vacation, sick or personal leave, holidays) pension and other retirement benefits, tuition reimbursement, and insurance eligibility on day one (medical, dental, vision, and life). We invite all qualified candidates to apply.
40% 1. Receives training for a period of six to twelve months duration to gain knowledge in reviewing corrective actions plans and reporting for groundwater and soil remediation to determine if they are technically adequate in the Leaking Underground Storage Tank (LUST) B Unit, for the Bureau of Land (BOL), in accordance with regulations pertaining to 35 Illinois Administrative Code, Part 731 and Part 734;
- Prepares for close review, written and verbal comments to owner/operators regarding technical deficiencies
- Coordinates with other Division/Agency personnel regarding proposed alternative technologies
- Observes and assists with establishing cleanup objectives for site remediation
25% 2. Receives training in reviewing 20-day, 45-day, and site investigation plans and reports for completeness to ensure all requirements of 35 Illinois Administrative Code, Part 731 and Part 734 were abided by;
- Prepares review letters to send to owners/operators regarding deficiencies found in the 20-day, 45-day, and site investigation plans and reports
15% 3. Receives training in checking to ensure time and material breakdown, bills and receipts are included in the budget and reimbursement submittals;
- Observes and assists with reviewing claims submitted for reasonableness and prepares summaries for the immediate Supervisor of those costs which are unreasonable
- Requires a bachelor's degree in some field of the life sciences.
- This class is included as an Upward Mobility Program credential title.
- Prefers the ability to prepare comprehensive written and oral reports.
- Prefers the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Prefers the ability to profit from training received in the designated area of state government.
- Prefers the ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with other employees and agency representatives.
- Prefers the ability to utilize a personal computer with knowledge of Microsoft Word, Access and Excel software.
Conditions of Employment
- Requires a current and valid driver’s license.
- Requires the ability to travel.
- As required by OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120, this position will be required to take (within 90 days of employment) and maintain working knowledge of (8 hr. annual refresher) and/or certification to ensure position is up to date with laws, rules and regulations to maintain compliance with Il Department of Labor Occupational Safety Regulations: 24 hour OSHA training.
- Requires the ability to pass a name-based background check.
Work Hours: 8:30 am - 5:00 pm Monday - Friday
Work Location: 1021 E North Grand Ave Springfield, IL 62702-4059