Position Website with Application Information
Anticipated Start and End Dates: Early June through late August 2021, with flexibility
Description: Two summer seasonal interns to focus on assisting NRCS Field Offices, Trout Unlimited DARE Project Manager, and Pheasants Forever Conservation Technical Staff with delivery of Farm Bill programs as they relate to environmental quality and habitat conservation within the Driftless Area of Wisconsin. Pheasants Forever Conservation Technical Staff shall function as mentors for seasonal interns and Pheasants Forever State Coordinator shall serve as supervisor.
Intern will work closely with multiple conservation professionals assisting with various programs related to wildlife habitat conservation.
- Contract and Compliance Status Reviews –Conduct contract status reviews to determine conservation practice success, discuss continuing practice “Operation and Maintenance” needs with landowners, assess landowner satisfaction with technical assistance, and document contract status.
- Wetland Reserve Easements offsite monitoring report
- Conservation Reserve Program status Review for Farm Service Agency
- Wetland Reserve Easement Monitoring – Conduct site visits to determine that easement terms and conditions are being met. Complete monitoring forms and follow-up actions according to WI easement monitoring protocol.
- Natural Heritage Inventory Reviews – Complete database checks for the existence of threatened and endangered species as they relate to project locations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be pursuing a career in wildlife management or Natural Resources field.
- Must be able to work effectively with private landowners, governmental agency staff, and conservation organization representatives.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to work under adverse weather conditions.
- Must be able to follow detailed verbal and written instructions.
- Valid driver’s license required with an acceptable driving record (Federal vehicle use available).
- Complete and comprehend all training as directed by supervisor(s).
- Abide by all company policies, rules, and safety regulations as directed.
Salary Information: $15/hr; not to exceed 29 hr/wk (phone stipend, no benefits, no housing)